Sunday, June 26, 2011

Destiny

It occurs to me that very few people know where their true destiny lies. As I watch the people around me it has become very obvious that people settle for contentment and security as a paltry substitute for pursuing their true destiny. Have we become so dead that we no longer hunger to reach our destiny? Are we too lazy to try?

I often hear people say that they just gave up. Gave up?! Really? Why?

I've heard many answers to that question. Sometimes obligations are cited as the reason someone quit striving to reach their destiny. Other times people have told me they just never could figure out what their destiny was.

Apathy anyone? How can you live your whole life never knowing your destiny? How could you quit trying to figure it out? Why won't you take a chance?!

Some have told me that they are afraid they might be wrong. They are afraid they might risk everything only to find it wasn't their destiny after all. OK...that I can understand. Often to reach a point in our life where day to day life and destiny peacefully co-exist we have to risk a lot. But isn't getting up in the morning a risk? Life is uncertain. Wouldn't it be better to live our uncertain life striving for happiness instead of living contentedly a shadow of what could be?

I think people often mistake contentment for happiness. Until you know the difference you can never truly live your life with awareness.

4 comments:

  1. Rebecca, most people want more out of life or they realize there is more to the life they are living. It is painful to them, knowing there is more to life yet they are fearful of leaving their comfort zone. So, there they will just be content. Until the pain of remaining the same becomes bigger than the fear of change, there they sit.

    They are kind of like the old dog laying on the porch. There is the tip of a nail sticking up through the wood, paining the dog. Yet the pain isn't that bad, more of an irritation so, the old dog continues to lay there in his comfort and laziness until after awhile the nail begins to gouge the old dog hard and becomes very painful, too painful for the dog to lay there. So, the old dog rises up and changes his position. ---- That is most people.

    Janeta

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never heard the analogy of the dog, but it perfectly illustrates your point.

    As for me, I just can't live that way. I have a destiny. I want to live purposefully in an effort to fulfill that destiny. To live aimlessly would only hinder me. To languish in my comfort zone would do nothing to make me happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. To never change and remain the same, is like a stagnant pond. Going nowhere, just rotting, right there.
    Janeta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wish I had a like button for my comments!

    ReplyDelete